Friday, July 25, 2008

Call the medic

Well, my computer finally had some problems. Not my Tandy of course, that beast is practically indestructible, but my main PC, my HP laptop. It's time for some warranty repair, good thing I got the extended coverage. So I might be "absent" for a bit here as my computer gets fixed up. I'll try and post my "stones" game online form someone else's computer in the mean time.

And as a status update on the game, I think I'll release the text-only version to begin with because my graphics routines are terrible. Sometimes it's so slow it's disgusting. But I guess that's one reason to learn machine language. Part of the reason, I discovered, has to do with that fact that the screen can only fully refresh at 300 baud. You can of course put graphics into the buffer faster than that using either PRINT @ in BASIC or using machine code, but sadly the PSET command in BASIC seems to halt until it's sure the screen has caught up. It really is a limitation of the screen itself, as the older LCD's would tend to get very blurry with lots of things moving around. Those who played the old Game Boy original models should remember that in very fast games you'd often get "ghosting" and that one of the biggest selling points of the Game Boy pocket was that it wouldn't "ghost" like that.

Anyway, as soon as I finish posting this my HP will be going into a foam padded box and away to be fixed up so I will have a nicely repaired laptop (without missing keys or other broken parts) in time for school.

Expect to see me on the BBS with my Apple IIe soon though. Yes, new aquisition. I am very excited to try it out!

No comments: