Saturday, November 8, 2008

Update: I am not dead!

For those who actually deign to spend time on my blog, a little update.

I survived my midterm examinations and such, and things are beginning to flow a little better here at school. I still have lots of work, but nothing more than what I am expecting. Lots of reading and papers, as is the norm for any philosophy major.

I have had some time for projects lately, mostly tinkering with my new Neo Geo project. Essentially what I have accomplished in my spare time is to get the arcade board working with an old Apple II power supply (from a dead IIe) and I also made a fairly simple RGB to NTSC adapter, which is based on a chip from Analog devices. I used a kit from a guy named Jeff Kurtz, known as the NeoBitz-S encoder. It works like a charm, and was pretty easy to build.

I have one controller and 1 controller port for the unit, so I need to finish my second controller and wire up a port for it. The first controller is a regular Neo Geo home system controller, which has a DB-15 connector on the end, pretty straightforward. I have been working on a second controller of much higher quality, with real arcade parts from Seimitsu and a plexiglass overlay and everything. Once it's done it should be very nice.

So, honestly, most of my lack of posting is because I have been doing other things, mostly school, tinkering. I'll post some pictures of my project once I feel the first really complete version is done.

No comments: