Saturday, July 26, 2008

aaaarg!

Well, I knew it would happen some time. I got my cable all built for the MSS-VIA and it was working great and then one time my batteries in my Tandy ran out during an active session. The Tandy locked badly and I had to cold start, and of course, my "stones" game is gone. Dang! But at least I am now on the BBS with my Tandy, which is very cool of course. More info on the Retro Challenge BBS, of course.

EDIT: having now used the RetroChallenge BBS with my Tandy I must say that the Tandy does not make a good BBS browser. Even with my VT100 emulation software, the Tandy crawls along, since the VT100 emulation can travel at only 300 baud in order to match the screen refresh. Aaaaaugh! Much much too slow. I could get 19200 baud on my Apple II! But, it's not just the 300 baud limitation: no, the VT100 emulator is slow too. A simple cursor reposition operation can take as much as 3 seconds. So, move the arrow down in the menu, and it takes 3 seconds to redraw everything! AAAAAAAH! So stupid! A real VT100, even at 300 baud, would be much faster. So there goes using the T102 on the BBS. A real pain, but I proved it could be done!

No comments: