Friday, July 4, 2008

MSS-VIA

My MSS-VIA came via UPS late yesterday, after I had finished my post. I was so excited to mess with it that I forgot all about posting an update then. For those who don't know yet, the MSS-VIA is made by Lantronix and is used as a "serial device server." In other words, it can connect any computer with an RS-232 serial port to the Internet. That would be my Tandy 102, and possibly some of my other computers too.

And of course, I ran into some problems. To be expected at this point, of course. I knew I needed a null-modem cable to hook up my Tandy to the Lantronix box, but I didn't know all the details of the protocol before I got it. The MSS-VIA has two serial ports on it, one a DB9, one a DB25. The DB9 is labeled "console" and according to the manual is used for configuring the VIA. It is fixed at 9600 Baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop bit, and no parity, and uses software handshaking by default. The Tandy can handle all that stuff except the software handshaking. In other words, as soon as it receives any lines longer than a certain amount it would clip them off, waiting for the "handshake," which it doesn't receive. This makes a big mess out of BBS'es and such that I am trying to Telnet into.

On the other hand, the DB25 is fully configurable, so I just need to build myself a DB25 to DB25 null-modem cable and I'll be in business again.

In other news, I will be going on vacation for a week to the Minnesota north woods. Or as we say around here, I'm "goin' up nort!" I'll be staying on 5 Point Lake. I will have internet access some of the time, so I can post things, and I can also devote more time to some of my Challenge projects. Stay tuned for more updates.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

FYI, the MSS-VIA is no longer made or sold by Lantronix. The MSS100 and MSS4 are still available, see
http://www.lantronix.com/device-networking/external-device-servers/mss100.html
and
http://www.lantronix.com/device-networking/external-device-servers/mss4.html

Lantronix also makes lower cost device servers such as the UDS1100,
http://www.lantronix.com/device-networking/external-device-servers/uds1100.html
which has a DCE DB25F, so you don't need to mess with a null modem.