Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Back again

Well, for those of you who were wondering, yes I have been away for a couple days. My grandfather was recently taken very ill with a failing gall bladder and pneumonia at the same time. Needless to say, most things have been put on hold the past couple of days because there is fear that he could die because of it.

However, I have made some little progress again with my retrocomputing hobby. I needed a new null modem cable that has correct handshaking, so I went to my local Radio Shack in hopes of buying one and saving some time. If you are laughing at me it's probably because you've been to a Radio Shack recently. Anyway, I went in and was greeted by the young man who worked there, who had a full red beard and several nose studs. (yeah, odd combo...) He politely asked if he could help me find anything, and I said I needed a null modem cable. To my utter shock and amazement the man knew what a null modem cable was! And then he said, "If you need to connect a couple computers together there has to be a better way, like with ethernet or something." Well, the computer's older than that, I said. They didn't have any null modem cables, as I feared. So now I need to build myself a new cable.

And in the programming department, my inspiration phase is done. It consisted mostly of playing Taipan for about 8 hours, and making a simulated 800 million bucks (not adjusted for inflation) and sailing around in a boat with a 2900 ton capacity. And blowing a fleet of 256 pirates out of the water singlehandedly. In the 1800's. In China. Yeah right, but it was fun!

And in other news I might finally get myself another real (not emulated) Apple II class system. I know a guy who wants to sell me his Apple IIc; now to haggle the price down a bit...

No comments: